September 22, 2003


Well, we just got back from our little vacation / anniversary celebration. It was a lot of fun, and quite the adventure for the three of us. Nothing went as we had planned, and up until the day before it looked like everything was going wrong - until we made it an adventure instead of a vacation!

It all started with the Volvo not going into reverse the day before we were to leave. The part that lets us put it in reverse broke, but the people at the shop said no problem, we'll get it fixed today. Then they needed to order the parts, and so it wouldn't be done until Thursday. Of course, that's a day too late! We leave on Wednesday! So, after much frantic calling and figuring, Mom and Dad said they'd rent us a car as an anniversary present. Thanks guys!

So, everything is going good, and we went shopping for the last of the stuff we needed. When we got home, we were tired from the extra-long day, but ready to pack for the trip. Then our friends whom we were going to go visit called. Janine was very sick, and we wouldn't be able to go. After, of course, we got the rental car. It was another disaster, and we were distraught. So, after a while, I decided that we'd have our adventure and just go east, and see what happened.

We ended up driving all the way to Tumalo campsite outside of Bend that first night. We had reservations for Friday and Saturday nights, so we just added two more on. From there we went into bend on Thursday and Friday.

Thursday we went through the historic downtown area of Bend, which is quite quaint. We had a picnic lunch in Drake Park - right on the Deschutes. That evening I made Dutch Oven Lasagna for dinner, and we settled down for a night. Of course, that night we had brand new hats for everyone, and new gloves for the girls - as we almost froze the first night. Katherine got to see a fire, and loved it!

Friday we went back into town in the evening, had dinner at the Deschutes Brewery's Public House. I had the roasted garlic burger - the best burger I've ever had in my life. We went down to the Old Mill district, which wasn't nearly as cool as downtown, but had a Ben and Jerry's. After some Ice Cream, we went to McKay park for "Munch and Movies" - free movie on a huge inflatable screen. It was 'B Movie Night,' and we got to see "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes." Very funny.

Saturday we stayed in camp and relaxed. I got a lot of reading done for my masters classes.

We came back home Sunday, stoping in Sisters for site-seeing and milkshakes. We had dinner at the Log Cabin Inn - which was our favorite of the places we tried while on our Honeymoon. We got home at about 5, tired and sick. We're not sure why we felt sick, but we went to bed early.

That's about it, very fun!

Posted by john at September 22, 2003 04:15 PM


happy anniversary late.

Posted by: kelley on September 26, 2003 11:36 AM
Post a comment